Sunday, July 27, 2008

dan was here...

So this is it then! I'm back in Melbourne, got in yesterday morning. Head is still flying, jetlag is weirder than I remember. I think people are already sick of hearing the words "In Berlin..." and "What I love about Holland is...". Just deal with it.

Finished up in London. Broke my bag, Beth set fire to the kitchen, I nearly slept through my cab and therefore missed the train and nearly missed my flight to Finland. Fell asleep at the airport and woke up surrounded by no less than 120 Indian people having a picnic. I was in the middle of them all, like the centrepiece or something. Toyko was very very very hot. Only like 35 degrees or something, but I felt like I was going to die. Went to a few shrines and/or temples, had some food which I didn't know what it was, went to Shibuya and Harajuku and was staying is Asakusa. It was all amazing, but I was so wiped out that I don't think I really engaged with what I was seeing. Another time, hopefully. Here's some photos:



Bizarre smoking stations on the street!
You're not meant to smoke and walk at the same time,
so you stop by this little bus-stop-esque thing and smoke,
then keep walking. Hilarious.
Do you love that it's called 'Manners Street'?

Toilet with a computer inside.
It heats the seat so your bum is warm,
and there are like 100 buttons on it,
so you can change options and select
features and flavours and change it to surround sound...



The streets in Japan are crazy, people everywhere, and the buildings are so high and there are ads blasting from every screen above your head, massive cinema-sized ads carrying on up in the sky while you feel like you're walking through a considerably cleaner Bladerunner. People were generally quite helpful, women moreso than men. Lots stopped to ask if I was ok, particularly when I had my big bag on. Some people even gave me a little clap when I put my bag on while on the train. Then they bowed, and I bowed too, and kinda lost my balance because I bowed too low, and they laughed and bowed again, and I thought... I'm not going to fall for that again, you guys. You're just messing with me! Cheekies. Especially nice were the two girls and boy from Hong Kong (who were all dressed in kimonos?) who gave me 100Yen after I massively fucked up all my train transfers and bought the wrong tickets on the way to the airport and had no money and no ATM and I thought I was going to die from my bags and the heat. I must have looked like a crazy person, one of those obnoxious Australian just yelling "ATM!" louder and louder at the train station assistant in the hope that he would understand me if it was screamed at him.

Not much left to say, really. I had a blast. Met some wonderful people, saw some crazy shit, used some terrible keyboards, ate some suspicious food, heard some amazing stories that I will definitely steal as my own... and hopefully it won't be another 2 years before I get to do something like this again. America2009? Let's wait and see...



xd

1 comment:

++ jessenia ++ said...

geneva is boring a la prague, old people tourists too hot and everyone is aggressively french. wish you were here. phone has no credit, can receive msgs only, will let you know asap when i get a new number. miss you soo soos oso much. xoxo